Words Exhausted

mediocre minds

repeating geniuses

this fading ink

no masterpieces now

doesn’t mean

they’ve never been

what comes after the wasteland

isotopes, different thing, same place

hollowness, searching for meaning

to observe while withering away

a plea to the muses

finding a way

to try to cry

“help”

artificial metal jutting

out of soft landscapes

dripping liquid

breathe orderly

recede from

this cliff

positivity in

fragmentation

15 Responses to Words Exhausted

1. That first verse reminded me of something I read in a manga recently.

• S. W. Lynch says:

It’s based off of an idea of Nietzsche’s.

• S. W. Lynch says:

Well, I’m glad that you don’t claim to be familiar with him without understanding his ideas like so many people do. He is the most misunderstood philosopher, for one people often associate him with nihilism, but his determination on man striving to better himself in order to reach uber macht is an antithesis of what he saw as the weakness of nihilistic acceptance of social norms: i.e. the will of the masses as opposed to the individual. He was a very complex individual, a genius in the truest sense of the word. People also think of him as anti-semitic, but that’s just because his The Will to Power was edited and distorted by his anti-semitic sister after his death. I won’t try to go further in detail here but he was basically against the Enlightenment philosophes, democracy, socialism, and ardently anti-christianity. If you want to know a little more read my essay “Protect by the Sword, Win by the Intellect”.

• wow, you really like this guy, don’t you?

• S. W. Lynch says:

I wouldn’t say like, more like I’m very interested in his work.

• if you could give me nietszche’s philosophy in a nutshell, how would you phrase it? If I have that, it’ll be easier for me to understand.

• S. W. Lynch says:

Like I said, you can’t explain his philosophy in “a nutshell”. Labeling ideas into categories such as a type of philosophy defeats the purpose of the subject in its entirety. Some call him an early existentialist along with Kierkegaard. Others call him an individualist. His most important ideas are the death of God, ubermensch, eternal reoccurrence along with others. But none of what I just stated does any justice to “Nietzsche’s philosophy” as you call it. If you want a cursory introduction read the wikipedia article on him or something.

• thanks for reminding me that you can’t explain a philosophy in a nutshell. i sometimes forget that, and it’s a problem occasionally.

2. neelkanth says:

Inspiringly beautiful.

3. “this fading ink no masterpieces now doesn’t mean they’ve never been” I deal with this constantly. The void takes everything; it’s absolute and yet also the source. It’s a paradox.

4. Sylvia says:

Are there any original thoughts left? Or are we all just recaptioning old ideas, a generation of memes?

• S. W. Lynch says:

That is basically the question that is posed in the beginning, however, I come to the conclusion in the end that there is positivity in fragmentation. That perhaps that even though originality is rare, there is a more complex form of thought that can take inspiration from many things and still bring fresh meaning and ideas.